Backdating rent allowance

Sometimes Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support customers think we should pay their benefit from a date before we receive their claim. Backdating is sometimes possible but only in limited circumstances.It is always best to make your claim as soon as possible.Before you start to calculate your Rent Supplement you must check whether you qualify.Make sure you read our document on Rent Supplement.

We may also do this if we are told that you are 8 or more weeks behind with your rent.

However there are some exceptions to this and if you are in supported accommodation you may continue to have Housing Benefit paid instead.

Universal Credit is slowly being made available to working age couples and families - it depends on your postcode if you will be able to claim Universal Credit.

Some income is not counted for Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) schemes so you do not need to include it when working out your gross income.

The following items are not taken into account as income: From January 2012 income from working as a home help with the HSE is taken into account.

Leave a Reply